Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Champs league Group Stages- dissapointing

I guess this year's champs league isn't gonna be offering much in terms of entertainment value.It seems underwhelming for me, and believe me,I have stayed up in the wee hours o' the morn on many a weekday night (during secondary school,college, and even work) just to catch some football action.

When the 2nd week of ties is the likes of this(live on espn and star sports):
Spartak Moscow V Zilina
Chelsea v Marseille
Arsenal v Partizan Belgrade

kinda makes me wanna just skip it.No disrespect to Zilina, Marseille, or Partizan(or Spartak as well),who I'm sure will manage to make quite a few headlines when I read Soccernet in the morning.
However,this year the matchups seem a little undercharged,and so far from what I've seen (Man U Rangers, Ajax Real) there seems to be less pizazz to the matches.I guess it'll be up to the refs to generate at least a few column inches rather than the performances of teams themselves
I suppose this boils down partly to all the money-spinning the Champions League can offer to the so called "lesser teams".It's all well and good if you're Real Madrid or Man U with very healthy support from the world over(and in Real's case,perhaps the municipal as well?$400mil++ for your old training ground?good piece of business for real)

The pick of the bunch I thought woulda been aired would be Real v Auxerre in the so-called group of death(that also includes Milan and Ajax.Past powers of european and domestic football.Yes,PAST)
Anyhow,sadly,the only champion in this group of death is...none?Lets not get into debate on this.

Seeing that most of the big guns have avoided each other in the group phases,perhaps this will set up more mouth watering ties in the latter stages (like,Barcelona V Milan.Welcome Home Ibra etc etc)

Can't wait for that to happen while I endure the group stages(well,at least the next 2 rounds serve up Real V Milan)TASSTTYYYY! That,I can stay up for:)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails